5 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large aubergine, 1/2 cm slices
1 large onion, chopped
4 oz (115g) mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp vegan red wine - optional
1 tsp mixed herbs
3 oz (85g) walnuts, chopped
1 oz (30g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
1 oz (30g) wholemeal flour
1/2 pint (275ml) soya milk
Extra walnuts to garnish
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry slices of aubergine on both sides, then drain on paper towels. Set aside. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan and saute the onions for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
2. Stir in tomatoes, puree, wine (if used) and herbs and cook gently until a sauce forms. Add walnuts, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. If necessary, add a drop more oil, vegetable stock or tomato puree mixed with water.
3. Put the remaining oil, flour and soya milk into a saucepan and whisk continuously over a gentle heat for about 5 minutes until thick and smooth.
4. Lightly grease a shallow oven-proof dish. Arrange half the aubergine slices across its base, top with half the nut mixture and then half the white sauce. Repeat.
5. Bake in an oven pre-heated to 180C/350F/gas mark for 30 minutes. Top with extra nuts halfway through cooking time. Serves 2-3.