Chocolate Chip & Walnut Ice Cream
3 1/2 oz (100g) dark chocolate
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
7 floz (200ml) coconut cream
2 tbsp mixed dried fruit
2 oz (50g) ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
1 tbsp cointreau
2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp mixed ground pumpkin
2 tbsp flax seeds or de-hulled hempseeds
2 tbsp flax oil
2 tbsp porridge oats
3 1/2 floz (100 ml) soya milk
2 tsp carob powder
1 tbsp vegan yoghurt
1 tbsp vegan margarine
1. Break the chocolate into pieces, then place 3 oz (75g) of it in a heatproof bowl suspended over a saucepan of simmering water and heat until melted.
2. Chop remaining chocolate into chip-sized pieces, mix with the walnuts and set aside.
3. Place all remaining ingredients in a bowl and use a hand-held mixer to combine until quite smooth. Stir the melted chocolate into the fruit mixture, then mix in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
4. Transfer the mixture to a suitable lidded container and place in freezer for 1 hour.
5. Remove from the freezer and break up the mixture with a fork to reduce the ice crystals. Repeat this process every hour for the next 4 hours.
6. If frozen for longer than 24 hours, remove the ice cream from the freezer for 15 - 20 minutes before service. Serve with drizzle of soya cream, maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Serves 4.
Recipe by www.foodsforlife.org.uk.